View the study questions we have created for reading the inspiring Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda.
- Share your inspiration for joining a study group. What are your hopes for the group?
- What brought you to the reading of this book?
- How do you relate to the word “guru”? Do you have any preconceptions about India, the guru-disciple relationship and the meaning of spirituality?
- What does the word “disciple” mean to you? Had you heard it before reading this chapter?
- Why do you think Paramhansa Yogananda writes of the guru-disciple relationship? (Within the first page, first paragraph, first sentence!)
Chapter 2 – My Mother’s Death and the Mystic Amulet
- Have you had an experience like Yogananda that caused you to have to turn to the Divine for strength and realizing that everything is really Spirit bringing to us what we need to feel His/Her Presence more tangibly in our daily life?
- Had you heard of the ancient Swami order of renunciation (coming from India) before reading this book?
- What do the Himalayas and pilgrimage mean to you?
- Does the image of Yogananda’s mother have any special meaning to you?
- Have you ever had an “intuition” or premonition and listened/not listened to it?
- What does the “talisman” Yogananda received represent?
Chapter 3 – The Saint with Two Bodies
- What is Faith? And what does it mean to you?
- What are examples of moments when you feel the Divine has aided you in developing that Faith?
- How do we know whether to stay in “seclusion” or to be more out in the world, serving others? How can we best serve others in the world? What are examples in Paramhansa Yogananda’s life of balancing meditation and service?
- What is the best way to be “spiritual”? How and why does this change individually?
Chapter 4 – My Interrupted Flight Toward the Himalayas
- What challenges have you faced leading a spiritual life? Has anyone ever tried to talk you out of your spiritual practices? What was that like and how did you handle it? How do you keep going when this part of your life is challenged?
- How do you stay steady on the path? Or have there been moments where you left the path and come back? If you are just finding or discovering what being on the path means to you, can you share what this is like?
- How does devotion give courage on the spiritual path? How can we use prayer to strengthen our commitment on the path?
Chapters 5-8 Coming Soon (contact us to join the weekly study group)
Chapter 9 – The Blissful Devotee and his Cosmic Romance
- What does the concept of God as Divine Mother mean to you?
- How do you experience devotion or what does devotion to the Divine mean to you in your spiritual life?