What does it mean to be inspired? It means to breathe into, to infuse (as life) by breathing, to draw forth or bring out. If we break down the meaning even further, the root of the word inspiration (similar to respiration), means to draw in, or to breathe life into. Spiri—or Spirit—is the source of all life. To draw in or breathe into that which you feel inspired to create, from the source of all life.
To draw inspiration into yourself, begin by opening your heart to this flow of Spirit. Calmness and openness of the heart is an important part of finding your source of inspiration. It also helps to know what inspires you.
“You have the capacity to throw flowering branches of power and success all around you,
that the inspiration of your life may waft its influence over the entire cosmos.”—Paramhansa Yogananda
Introspection, is a way to know what is your natural inclination for creativity and purpose. Once you know what that is, you can understand what you have to give others in this world. Is what you are doing fulfilling and satisfying to your right? If not, begin to pursue that which your heart is guiding you to do, if you would find your source of inspiration again.
Let’s do an introspection exercise to discover your innate gifts, especially thinking back to childhood when your heart was able to more easily lead the way. Begin by writing down the answers to the following questions:
- How do I define “success”?
- What do I believe will make me successful in life?
- What do I believe will make me happy in life? Is it related at all to how I view success?
- What do I have already that brings me happiness and fulfillment?
- What am I grateful for?
- When I picture myself achieving my dreams and doing what I love—what do I see myself doing?
- What do I have to give?
- Who do I have to give it to?
- How can I reach those who will be helped by this gift?
- What inspires me to take action in life?
- What makes me want to get up each day?
- Who and what do I live for?
- What do I feel my dharma is? How can I fulfill it?
- What are the ways that I can share my inspiration with others? Does this bring me joy?
- When I was young, what do I remember brought me joy? What did I enjoy doing to be creative? To have fun? To feel uplifted? What inspired me?
- How do these things relate to what I am doing today?
- In any way, can these be changed to align myself more “in attunement” with what brings me joy?
“Life should be a continuous inspiration.” —Paramhansa Yogananda
Now what will it take to act on these things to live an inspired life? Tune into your inner guidance, trust your heart, and feel how the Cosmic Spirit is trying to guide you. Open yourself to the new opportunities that await.
- How to Create Success in Any Endeavor by Kalamali (book excerpt)
- How to Be a Success by Paramhansa Yogananda
- Spiritual Bucket List
- How to Find Your Life Purpose (Dharma)
- Life is Just One Big Affirmation (Affirmations for Positive Change)
Live Spiritual. Live Inspired. A video series:
Learn more about programs for bringing spirituality into daily life: SpiritualInternships.org