To help you find your life purpose, here is an inspirational introspection exercise (based on the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda, author of Autobiography of a Yogi):
“Be what you want to be, not what others think you ought to be.” -Paramhansa Yogananda
Here are the three questions to ask yourself, if you want to find your purpose:
1) Who am I? What is your inspiration?
2) Who do you want to help? What is your motivation?
3) How can you share this inspiration? What will you do to share with others?
Yogananda said, “Introspection is a mirror in which to see portions of your mind which otherwise would remain hidden from you. It is never too late to diagnose your failures and to assess your good and bad tendencies. Analyze what you are, what you wish to become, and what tendencies or shortcomings are impeding you. Decide what your deep and secret task is — your mission in life– so that you can make yourself what you should be and what you want to be.” —From the book: How to Be a Success
Now Let’s Create a Visualization:
Visualizations are an important part of success once you have found your purpose and are ready set out on your journey for manifestation. Visualization combines inspiration with imagination.
When a visualization has your focus and one-pointed attention, it has more power to attract what you are visualizing. Therefore, the more detail you put into your visualization, the deeper your experience.
Your visualization is in itself an affirmation. It can become a part of your reality if you invest into it great energy and will power.
Expand your vision to its ultimate form. Allow yourself to dream big, without any limiting thoughts. Understand what success and happiness means to you:
- Close your eyes, and bring to mind what you want to accomplish if you were to fulfill your dharma.
- What do you envision for yourself? For your family? For your business? Community?
- How does this relate to what you feel is your true purpose in life?
- What would it look like to share your work with others?
- How vast will it grow? How many people will it reach? How will it reach that many people? Over what span of time?
- How will your endeavor manifest? Write down as many details as possible.
Resolve to Follow Your Life Purpose
Once the importance of putting out energy is understood, it can be applied to setting an intention, and achieving goals along the way.
If you apply your will to manifesting set intentions, you can align each step with your ultimate vision and life purpose. As you put out positive energy, and follow your truth— which is your purpose in life—you will attract support needed along the way.
Write down your intentions. Notice how much more accessible they can be when they are clarified. Writing also helps to take your goals from the mental plane into the physical plane—bringing you closer to manifesting your dreams in daily life.
- Identify specific steps to your goals. Write down everything that comes to mind.
- What is the timeline you foresee? What do you hope to accomplish in the next ten years? Five years? One year?
- What are the minimum resources (time, environment, people, or income) you need to acquire in order to realize your desired outcomes?
- Write down the steps within your immediate reach. These are the first steps you will have to take in order to achieve success, for we must all start from where we are.
In this life, we have the opportunity to share our unique gift with the world. To do this, we must listen to inspiration and creativity when they are speaking to us. It is essential that we learn how to share our gift to the best of our ability, and that we direct our will power and concentration toward that noble end.
Ultimately, it is not for ourselves that we are trying to earn success. Rather, we are striving to serve in an expansive and beneficial way. The universe supports the success of those who strive to help others.