There are many wonderful health benefits of Himalayan salt– which is why you may have already been buying the pretty pink salts from your favorite health food store. But maybe you don’t know yet exactly what makes it so special– besides the fact that it comes from the famous Himalayan mountains of India– good, right?
Much of the unique benefits of Himalayan salt have to do with the fact that it takes nearly 250 million years to form under heavy tectonic pressure. This process is different than other forms of salt, in that it is purified and free of toxins and pollutants. And unlike normal table salt which is an inflammatory and an energetically dead compound, there are many health benefits that have been discovered in the latest research on Himalayan salt:
- Contains 84 of the natural minerals and elements found in the human body including potassium, calcium and magnesium (which help promote a healthy balance by maintaining fluids and replenishing the body’s supply of electrolytes)
- Controls the water levels within the body, regulating it for proper functioning
- Promotes stable pH balance in the cells (important for keeping us illness-free), and especially works in the brain cells
- Regulates the water content in the the body– unlike other forms of salt (including sea salt) which actually deplete the water content
- Balances blood sugar levels in the body
- Helps provide hydroelectric energy in the body cells (helping the nerve systems function properly)
- Increases the absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract, helping the body get all the nutrients it needs to run properly
- Supports respiratory and heart health, sinus health, and bone health
- Prevents muscle cramping and can relieve arthritis pain
- Supports a healthy libido
- Naturally induces and helps regulate sleep
- Regulates blood pressure (unlike normal salt which raises blood sugar because of the high amount of water used in the body’s cells to counter balance consumption)
- Prevents cellulite and is an anti-ager due to its detoxification and hydration-balancing properties
Overall you can see that Himalayan salt is a wonderful, purifying, detoxifying agent found in nature. And it even tastes better than normal table salt or sea salt. Although it doesn’t contain the supplemental iodine for a healthy thyroid, I suggest grabbing an organic kelp capsule or liquid that will help you get the iodine you need without all the bad side effects.
I for one am always looking for one of nature’s remedies that can be used in more than way– and this salt is one of them! As you can see, Himalayan salt can be used not just on your food but also in a detoxing bath soak, mouth rinse, or face wash to reduce acne!